Your bathroom is probably one of the smallest rooms in your home, making it the perfect place to create a huge impact for an affordable price. If you want to modernize your bathroom, there are plenty of low-cost options that will make your home seem more luxurious, and since it is a room you use every day, you will be able to enjoy your upgrades more than in any other room in your house.
The following are examples of some of the most popular trends to modernize bathroom features and fixtures.
1. Quartz Countertops
The countertops in your bathroom are used and abused more than any other surface in your home. Regular exposure to water, makeup, toothpaste, and soap can wear down traditional bathroom countertop surfaces over time. Installing quartz bathroom countertops provides a natural, nonporous surface material with long-term protection against stains and corrosion.
Engineered quartz is made from a mixture of natural ground quartz and polymer resins, creating a nearly indestructible countertop that is designed to last for many years. Quartz countertops are available in a wide range of styles and colors. Recent trends toward classic interior design look apply to the bathroom, too. White and veined concrete styles are among the most popular quartz bathroom countertops.
2. Solid Surface Shower
With an increase in popularity and usage in new home and remodeling design, the options for solid surface shower walls and the costs have gone down. Recent technological advances in the manufacturing and installation process have resulted in significant improvements in the durability, appearance, and installation of solid surface materials. It can often be difficult to tell the difference between solid surface shower and one made from natural stone or tile.
· Resistant to potentially harmful mold, mildew, and grime
· Trendy and timeless at the same time
· Easy to clean and maintain
3. Sliding Glass Shower Door
Frameless sliding glass shower doors present a modern look that will make your shower appear larger and brighter. Replacing traditional shower curtains with sliding glass shower doors reduces the chances of harmful mold buildup that can form in hidden and tough to get to areas. Glass panels are easy to clean and maintain, and are customizable to fit the unique measurements and specifications of your shower stalls.
4. Flooring Upgrade
The floors of your bathrooms get a lot of use and are regularly exposed to moisture, humidity, and temperature changes that can make them look worn and dingy over time. Engineering and technological advances have made more choices for bathroom flooring available than ever before. Modern bathroom flooring options are designed and manufactured to withstand just about anything.
Porcelain and ceramic tiles are the most popular materials for bathroom floors for today’s homeowner. While they can be a challenge to install, they are durable, water and stain-resistant and moderately priced compared to natural stone and other alternatives.
5. Lighting Improvements
Proper lighting in your bathroom is more than just an aesthetic preference. It is also a matter of safety. Slick floors in small spaces used at all times of the day and night often lead to slip and fall accidents, particularly among the elderly. Even in the small confines of your bathroom, you and your family perform varying kinds of functions requiring different kinds of lighting.
· Bath lighting: Separate lighting for the bath with a dimmer feature sets the mood for a relaxing bath. Lighting fixtures in the bath should be installed at least 3 feet from the tub and at least 7 feet above the highest water level.
· Vanity lighting: Your vanity will need the most powerful and specialized lighting in the entire home. LED bulbs mounted on the sides of the vanity mirror are energy-saving and cost-efficient alternatives to traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, and they dim easier and more smoothly.
· Shower lighting: There is a wide range of options to light and dim your shower areas. Recessed trim lighting offers the flexibility to set the perfect lighting for your shower preferences.
· Night lighting: Low wattage bulbs and motion sensors will allow you to find your way to the bathroom when you need it most in the middle of the night without waking up others.
The primary goal of the modern bathroom is to combine style, comfort, and safety. There is no end to the bathroom interior design options available on the market today.Mandy Lee is a contributor to Innovative Green Building Materials. She is a blogger and content writer for the building materials industry. Mandy is focused on helping fellow homeowners, contractors, and architects discover materials and methods of construction that increase property value, maximize energy savings, and turn houses into homes.